FAMILIARIZING WITH FRACTIONS

I have been dreading tackling this topic and thought about skipping it all together, but then I realized that's the point of this project! Fractions were one of my least favorite math topics in elementary school, and even today I'm not a big fan of teaching lessons on them. So I'm dedicating this post to doing some research and finding fun, creative ways to get kids (and myself) excited about fractions!

So first let's start off by simply defining what a fraction is. A fraction is a PART of a WHOLE. The numerator, or top number, is how many parts we have. The denominator, or the bottom number, is how many parts the whole is divided into.

PIZZA TIMEEEEEE!

Image result for pizza fraction simple
So here, my NUMERATOR is the number of parts, or pieces, that I have. My DENOMINATOR is the number of parts the whole pizza is broken into. The third pizza was cut into 8 pieces, and there are 3 pieces left. So there's 3/8 of the pizza left!

Image result for pizza fraction worksheetsImage result for pizza fraction worksheets

While pizza is a great example, obviously your students will need some practice with plain shapes and shading, or other examples.
Image result for fun fraction worksheetsImage result for fun fraction worksheets

But first, maybe reward your kids with some pizza....after all, nothing supports learning more than hands on experience! 🍕

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BREAKING DOWN PLACE VALUE

HOW MUCH LONGERRRRRRR?!

ALL THE WAY AROUND...PERIMETER!